Illustrator: David Allen Sibley
Publisher: Scott & Nix, Inc.
Size: 24 × 36"
The publication of The Sibley Guide to Birds (Knopf) in 2000 established David Allen Sibley as America’s premier naturalist and illustrator of birds. Now for the first time, a selection of his beautiful paintings of raptors is presented in a high-quality wall poster.
Sibley’s Raptors features 30 species in 134 illustrations—from the tiny American Kestrel to the acrobatic Cooper’s Hawk to the high-soaring Golden Eagle, this poster has them all.
Using gouache watercolors, Sibley created these paintings based on years of observation, field work, and sketching to capture the essence of each species as observed in nature.
- Printed in full color on 100-lb matte paper
- Birds reproduced in relative scale to show differences in size
- All species shown both perched and in flight
- Illustrations of males and females, regional forms, and juvenile birds
- Species arranged by groups—vultures, eagles, hawks, kites, and falcons
“Once in a great while, a natural history book changes the way people look at the world. In 1838, John James Audubon’s Birds of America was one...In 1934, Roger Tory Peterson produced Field Guide to the Birds...Now comes The Sibley Guide to Birds.”
—New York Times