Author: Jim Carpenter
Publisher: Scott & Nix, Inc.
THE ULTIMATE REFERENCE FOR BACKYARD BIRD WATCHERS AND BIRD FEEDERS
"Nobody in the world knows more about the science and art of feeding wild birds than Jim Carpenter. This book is not only a detailed 'best practices' guide taught by the master, but it also lets us share in the sheer joy with which Carpenter approaches his hobby-turned-profession. Cover to cover, this fact-filled manual is a delight to read."
—John W. Fitzpatrick, Louis Agassiz Fuertes Director of the Cornell Lab of Ornithology
The Joy of Bird Feeding offers practical tips and solutions to attracting and identifying birds, offering the best foods for the birds you want to see, and how to deter those unwanted guests to feeding stations.
Each chapter focuses on an important aspect of the hobby and guides readers to the essential steps of bird feeding mastery:
- Setting up thoughtful bird feeding stations in your backyard
- Choosing the best foods
- Species guide to 180 feeder birds with photos, detailed range maps, identification text, and preferred foods
- Comprehensive descriptions and photographs of feeder types and how to set them up
- Critter solutions for unwanted guests at your feeders
- Buying and storing bird food
- Situations and solutions for every type of backyard, apartment, or condo
- Common-sense bird feeding hygiene
- How to prevent window strikes and dealing with injured birds
- Fun bird feeding activities and more!